COCONUT GRILLED CORN
Source: Steven Raichlen
Labor Day weekend is almost here! This Coconut Grilled Corn is the perfect addition to your menu to give your guests a summer favorite with a twist. They may have eaten sweet corn all through August, but this is the recipe they'll be dreaming of until next summer's harvest of this American barbecue staple.
Coconut Grilled Corn, prepared by Steven Raichlen. Photo by Richard Dallett.
8 ears fresh sweet corn, in husks
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1-1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1. Shuck the corn, stripping the husk back as though you were peeling a banana, but leaving the husk attached at the stem end (leave the stem on). Holding an ear of the corn in one hand, gather the husk together so that it covers the stem and then tie it with a piece of butcher's string. This forms a sort of handle. Remove the corn silk. Repeat with the remaining ears of corn.
2. Light your Angara grill and heat to high. Brush and oil the grill grates.
The Angara grill table - a sophisticated centerpiece for your Labor Day BBQ.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over the grill grate or on the stovetop. Stir in the soy sauce and brown sugar. Simmer until the brown sugar crystals dissolve.
4. Lightly brush the ears of corn with the soy butter. Grill the corn until nicely browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side, 8 to 12 minutes in all, rotating the ears so they grill evenly. Position the corn so that the husks hang over the edge of the grill grate. Continue to baste the corn with the Sesame-Soy Butter Baste as it grills. Leave the grill on.
5. With tongs, transfer the corn to a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle it on all sides with the flaked coconut; gently pat it on with your fingertips. Return the corn to the grill just long enough to lightly toast the coconut. Transfer to a platter or plates and serve.
Find scrumptious Steven Raichlen Recipes to complete your Labor Day party menu in my last post: Best Labor Day BBQ Recipes and Party Ideas
BBQ Grill Accessories You'll Love While it's nice to think you can rely on your caveman instincts to grill your food just right every time you ba...