Step One: Clean the Pumpkin SeedsDon't worry, it's easy. Flouronmyface.com has the scoop: "Over the years I have learned a great little trick to get all the stringy pieces of pumpkin pulp off the seeds. First, clean out the inside of the pumpkin as usual. Put everything seeds and pulp into a very large bowl or pot. Rinse the seeds and pulp under running water. Pick out the larger pieces of pumpkin pulp. Rinse and repeat. Remove as much of the stringy pumpkin pulp as possible. Now fill the very deep bowl or pot with water. The pieces of pumpkin will sink and the pumpkin seeds will float to the top."
Step Two: Soak the SeedsMany nutritionists advise that you'll reap the maximum health benefits by soaking seeds before grilling them. Again, this is easy. The Pistachio Project suggests: "Take your clean pumpkin seeds and place in a bowl. Cover the seeds with warm water and a bit of salt. I do not really measure this but 1 tbs salt for 4 cups water is a good guide if you need one. Let seeds sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Drain the water from the pumpkin seeds and allow the seeds to dry on a baking sheet for a few hours."
Grilled Pumpkin Seeds RecipeGrilled Pumpkin Seeds, prepared by Kevin Haberberger of Extraordinary BBQ
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- Set up your grill for direct cooking.
- Rinse off pumpkin seeds in a colander.
- Toss the seeds in a bowl with olive oil and salt.
- Grill the seeds in a cast iron skillet until golden brown - about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, place in a bowl, and shave fresh Parmesan cheese over the top while still warm. Yum! Thanks, Kevin! If you want to spice things up, you can add garlic powder or paprika and Cajun seasoning to step 3.
- Angara grill table owners, invite all the neighborhood kids over for a Halloween pumpkin seed bbq party! iBBQ's Angara Maximus grill table
- Stay tuned for more autumn recipes and entertaining tips, right her on Barbie Q!
It happens to be National Cake Decorating Day, so I've scoped out some delicious grilled dessert recipes. Yep, that's right, if you aren't in the k...